"Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness." - Frank Gehry
- All City Departments
- Community Develop. Home
- Codes Administration
- Neighborhood Services
- Planning Services
- 135th Street Plan
Building Codes | Building Permit Application | Building Permit Fees | Commercial Construction Contractor Information | Fences | Inspection Call Numbers | Residential Construction
Roofing | Special Inspection Info. | Staff
Do you want to fence in your yard? Do you want to modify an existing fence installation? Do you want to replace an existing fence? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, then you will need to obtain a building permit. If you are changing the material of an existing fence, a permit will be required. If you are repairing or replacing less than ten feet of an existing fence, a permit will not be required.
A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:
- A completed permit application.
- Two plot plans. The plot plan must include property address, legal description, property dimensions, and easements. Corner lots will be subject to indicating building lines for setback requirements. If you do not have a plot plan, one may be available for you by contacting the Codes Administration Division at City Hall, 913-663-9165.
- Construction value of the proposed fence work.
- Contractors are required to be licensed with the City of Leawood.
- Properties north of I-435 are subject to approval from Johnson County Wastewater. Please contact Johnson County Wastewater at 913-715-8500.
For more information about fence construction, the City offers a brochure. You may access this document by clicking here.
Permits expire after 60 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.
Fences for properties that contain a swimming pool, spa or hot tub, are subject to compliance with the barrier requirements for said swimming pool, spa or hot tub, notwithstanding the scope of work as described in the permit application.
City of Leawood