"Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness." - Frank Gehry
- All City Departments
- Community Develop. Home
- Codes Administration
- Neighborhood Services
- Planning Services
- 135th Street Plan
Roofing PDF Files:
- Roofing Common Code Items
- City of Leawood Approved Roofing Materials and Color List
- Application for Roofing Materials - Contact the Planning Department for questions regarding adding a new product or shingle color to the Approved Materials list. 913-663-9160
- Roofing Materials Ordinance
- Roofing Regulations & Requirements
- Homeowner Associations Notifications List - City ordinance requires that a two business day notice be given to homes associations who wish to be notified of re-roofing permit applications. This requirement went into effect May 26, 2009.
A permit is required for roofing projects within the City of Leawood. This would include removing an existing roofing material to replace it with a new material or covering an existing roof with a new material.
A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:
- A completed permit application. The application must note the type of roofing materials to be used. The materials must be approved prior to installation
- Contractors are required to have a valid City of Leawood license; Johnson County Contractor License - minimum of DR class; and be registered with State of Kansas Roofing Registration per KRRA.
Listed below are permitted roofing materials. A complete list of permitted materials, including color and manufacturer, can be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or using this list of approved roofing materials.
- Wood Shingles
- Wood Shakes
- Clay Tile
- Concrete Tile
- Synthetic Slate
- Synthetic Shingles
- Stone Coated Steel Roofing
- Metal Roofing
- Laminated Composition Shingles
- SBS Modified Shingles
A minimum UL Class B fire rating is required for Synthetic Slate, Synthetic Shingles, Stone Coated Steel Roofing and Metal Roofing.
A minimum UL Class A fire rating is required for Laminated Composition Shingles and SBS Modified Shingles.
For more information about roofing, the City offers a brochure.
Permits expire after 60 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.