"The pen is mightier than the sword, but no match for the accountant." - Jonathan Glancey
- All City Departments
- Finance Home
- Accounting Division Resources
- Current Financial Documents
- Past Financial Documents
Vaccinating and licensing your family pet is a beneficial means of protecting your animal against rabies and provides for an efficient method for the City to trace the animal's ownership in the event it becomes lost. To do this, all dogs and cats must have a license within 30 days of being brought into the city or reaching the age of 6 months. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.
If your family has or wants more than two dogs and or two cats, you will need to obtain a Special Animal Permit Application from the City Clerk in addition to the animal license. An initial permit fee in the amount of $100.00 shall be paid by the owner, keeper or harborer of the animals identified in the permit. A permit renewal fee in the amount of $50.00 shall be paid (in addition to the license fee) each year thereafter.
All animals must be confined to the premises of the owner, except when taken off premises on a leash, or in a car, or other conveyance. Any animal(s) causing injury to persons or damage to property shall be presumed not under control of keeper/owner. Any animal picked up by Animal Control is subject to a leash law fine as well as a daily board charge. An animal picked up in Leawood must have current rabies vaccination and a city license before the animal can be released.
The following breeds are prohibited in the City of Leawood; Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, or any animal having the appearance or characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds known as Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier.
- It shall be the responsibility of the owner to renew animal license(s) prior to March 1, or late fees will be incurred.
Licenses are valid January 1 thru December 31.
Animal is defined as a cat or dog.
- Please print this Pet License Form [46.92 KB]. Take this form to a licensed veterinarian:
- The veterinarian will record rabies vaccination date, tag number, and his/her signature in the space provided on the form, or you may present a Rabies Vaccination Certificate listing the animal's name, sex, rabies tag # & vaccination date.
- IMPORTANT: To obtain a city license, the rabies vaccination must be current at time of licensing.
City of LeawoodAttn: Animal License
4800 Town Center Drive
Leawood, KS 66211
(913) 339-6700 X123
- $5 if the animal (spayed or neutered)
- $25 per animal (non-spayed or neutered)
- Licenses are valid January 1 thru December 31. Any license due not paid by the end of business hours on February 28 will be assessed a $5 per month late fee in addition to the regular license fee.
- Initial Special Permit Fee is $100.00 and is non-refundable.
- Special permits renew at $50.00 per year thereafter.
City of Leawood