"I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." - Kurt Vonnegut
Leawood ISO Rating 1
- All City Departments
- Fire Home
- About Our Fire Department
- Emergency Preparedness
- Helpful Hints
- Household Waste
- Reports & Newsletters
- What Happens When You Call 911
Fire Deputy Chief of Administration
Fire Chief | Deputy Chief of Operations | Deputy Chief of Administration
Fire Marshal | Fire Prevention Specialist
Shift Commander Shift "A" | Shift Commander Shift "B" | Shift Commander Shift "C"
14801 Mission Road
Leawood, Kansas 66224
Office: (913) 266-0606
Colin began his career in the fire service in 1996 and is a veteran of the United States Air Force. He became the Training Chief for the City of Leawood in January 2012. The position changed to Deputy Chief of Administration in January 2017. Before that, he spent eleven years with the City of Lenexa Fire Department, four years as a United States Air Force firefighter, and even spent some time as a DOD contracted firefighter in the Balkans.
Chief Fitzgerald is both Nationally Registered and Kansas certified as a Paramedic. He has a Masters Degree in Public Administration from Strayer University, a Bachelors of Applied Science in Technology Administration from Washburn University, an Associates of Applied Science in EMS from Kansas City, Kansas Community College, and an Associates of Applied Science in Fire Science from the Community College of the Air Force. Chief Fitzgerald is a graduate of the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program, is a Level 1 Peer Assessor for the Commission on Fire Accreditation International, has earned the Chief Fire Officer (CFO) designation from the Commission on Professional Credentialing, and is a Kansas Certified Emergency Manager (KCEM) through the Kansas Emergency Management Association (KEMA).
Chief Fitzgerald serves as the Designated Infection Control Officer and the Ryan White Officer for the City of Leawood.
Professional Affiliations include:
- Member - The Institution of Fire Engineers (MIFireE)
- Kansas Region 5 EMS Council Board of Directors
- Johnson County HeartSafe Foundation Board of Directors
- Johnson County Community College EMS Advisory Board
- Kansas City Kansas Community College EMS Advisory Board
- Mid-America Regional Council Emergency Response (MARCER)
- Kansas Emergency Medical Services Association (KEMSA)
- Kansas Emergency Management Association (KEMA)
- Kansas State Association of Fire Chiefs
- Heart of America Metro Fire Chief's Council
- National Fire Academy Alumni Association
- National Society of Executive Fire Officers
- National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
- Johnson County Training Chief’s Committee
- International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
Colin and his wife Liz devote most of their time to family activities with their kids. Colin does serve as an Assistant Scout Master for Boy Scout Troop 888 and previously was the Cub Master for Cub Scout Pack 3388. Other interests range from reading to travel, and include camping, hiking, SCUBA diving, etc.