"If bread is the first necessity of life, recreation is a close second." - Edward Bellamy
- All City Departments
- Parks & Recreation Home
- Aquatic Center
- Bicycle Friendly
- Camps & Classes
- Cultural Programs
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Facility Rentals
- Historic Programs
- On-Line Rec. Registration
- Outdoor Recreation
- Parks & Greenways
- Program Guide
- Rainout Information
- Seasonal Employment
- Special Events
The Community Garden Plots are returning for 2017!
The Community Garden located at 9609 Lee Boulevard, behind Fire Station #1 is currently a pilot project in a temporary location. Ultimately, if the program is successful, the Garden will possibly be permanently relocated to another area of the City.
If you are interested in applying for a plot, please read the rules and regulations carefully and you may apply online or you may complete the attached form and send it along with payment to Leawood City Hall, 4800 Town Center Drive, Leawood, KS 66211.
Garden Plot Information
• 32 - 4' x 14' plots are available each year
• only one plot is allowed per household.
• The fee for the plot is $25 for Leawood residents (proof of residency is required)
$40 for non-residents.
• Renewing subscribers may retain their existing plot by applying by February 28
• Leawood residents may start reserving plots at 8:00am, March 1
• Non-Residents may start reserving plots at 8:00am, March 15
• The Leawood Community Garden is an organic garden. The Subscriber agrees to use
organic methods and products. Subscriber shall not use any genetically modified
organisms, non-organic insecticides, fungicides and/or herbicides. Subscriber must
follow directions on all product labels and carefully apply the product so it does not
impact other garden plots.
• All Garden plots must be kept free of weeds and trash during the rental term (March 1,
2017 - November 30, 2017). Grass and weeds around the edge of each garden plot and
on paths surrounding the plots are the subscriber's responsibility and must be cut or
removed. Failure to maintain plots and surrounding areas may result in cancellation of
• Plots may not be assigned by a subscriber to another person or entity.
• Subscriber's plants must be placed in the assigned plot and contained within the plot.
• Subscribers may use chicken wire, poultry fence, rabbit fencing or woven mesh metal
fencing around plants. Brightly colored fencing is not allowed.
• Subscribers may not plant the following:
• Any plant considered by the State of Kansas or City of Leawood to be a noxious,
quarantined or invasive plant. See www.agriculture.ks.gov
• Corn or submerged or flooded crops
• Any plants over 4' tall which could shade adjacent plots
• Invasive species including, but not limited to trumpet vine or English Ivy
• Perennials, trees or shrubs
• Subscriber shall not use carpets or cardboard as mulch and shall not use odorous / foul-
smelling substances in the garden.
• Subscriber is responsible for watering their respective plots. Subscribers are also
responsible for watering equipment provided by the city. Water may not be left running
while unattended and will result in cancellation of the agreement. Hose must be
returned to the spigot post when watering is complete and water must be turned off at
the spigot and pressure in the wand relieved.
• Subscribers are responsible for tending the plot and if the Subscriber cannot do so for a
period of time (more than 2 weeks) then the Subscriber must arrange to have someone
else maintain the plot.
• Subscribers are not permitted to be in another plot without permission.
• Garden hours are from 7:00am-7:00pm, Monday-Friday and 8:00am-7:00pm, Saturday and
Sunday. Parking is permitted by old City Hall.
• Subscribers are responsible for bringing in the appropriate garden soil and preparing the
plot for planting. The City will provide cedar edging, mulch and water source.
• The City will build each plot frame and maintain those structures as needed. Broken or
damaged plot frames should be reported to the city for repair.
• Subscribers are responsible for spreading mulch in aisles between plots. The city will
provide the mulch.
• Subscribers must remove all plant material, plant support systems and other garden
paraphernalia from their respective plot by November 30, 2017. Cover crops such as
annual rye grass, hairy vetch, red clover, buckwheat and winter rye are acceptable.
• The City does not provide security for the garden. Incidents of vandalism or theft should
be reported to the Leawood Police Department, (913) 642-5555.
• Subscribers must keep the garden area clean of litter, waste and trash. Please be
prepared to take any trash and / or garden refuse off site for disposal. The City does not
provide waste removal or composting at this location.
• Cars may not be driven or parked in any of the grassy areas of the site.
• Subscribers must clean up any spills of garden materials in the parking lot.
• Pets are not allowed in the garden perimeter.
• The garden plots are located in the City of Leawood, Kansas. All applicable laws must be
followed. The City retains authority over the garden property and may terminate this
arrangement at any time, without notice.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com.
City of Leawood Follow @LeawoodParks