"The United States transportation system is the envy of the world." - Jerry Costello

Engineering & Construction - Utility Permit Info.

General Info. | Construction Projects | Design | Inspection | Street Maintenance Program

Performance & Maintenance Bond | ROW Blasting Permit | ROW Misc. Permit
ROW New Development Permit | ROW Utility Permit | Utility Permit Information

Development Construction,
Utility Line Installation & Repair and
Right of Way Maintenance

The City of Leawood requires a permit for the construction of Public Facilities in New Subdivisions of Developments and/or for work within the existing public right-of-way.

In January of 2000, a new Ordinance came into effect in the City of Leawood for use and excavation of the public right of way (Chapter XIII, Article 3 of the Leawood Municipal Code).

This Ordinance applies to every utility company or contractor that has to work within the City right-of-way.

Chapter XIII requires any and all service providers to register with the City before securing a permit.

Utility and General Construction Permits
(mostly used by utility companies,
plumbers, driveway & sidewalk repair contractors)

Any existing service provider, or new service providers wishing to work within the right of way must first register with the City. Anyone wanting to work within the R/W must first obtain a copy of Chapter XIII, Article 3 of the Leawood Municipal Code "USE AND EXCAVATION OF THE PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY". A "Service Provider Registration" form is available at the Public Works Department.

An Occupational License with the City is required.

Complete the appropriate Right of Way-Application Form.

The City has three (3) different types of permits

A plan or layout is required with the application. The permittee may be asked to provide a 2 year performance and maintenance bond in the amount of $5,000.00 for each permit or provide an annual bond of $50,000.00.

The permit fee is determined by the current year "FEE SCHEDULE" adopted by the City. Fees for open cuts in the pavement are determined by the cost per square yard for the streets, overlays, and seal-coats multiplied by a depreciation rate multiplied by the area of influence. (See Appendix of the "Fee Schedule" for details).

*Permits and fees for NEW driveways and sidewalks under NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION are covered in the Building Permit issued by the Planning Department.


  • Separate permits are required for the construction of:
  • Driveway Repair and approach installation
  • Sidewalk Construction
  • Storm Sewers
  • Street Construction and Repair
  • Street Lights
  • Irrigation Systems
  • Street Tree Planting

Contractors performing the work are to provide the following*:

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Occupational License with the City
  • Permit Fee


The intent of the Public Works Improvement Construction Standards adopted by the City is to ensure the standardization and integrity for all Public Works improvement projects, including design, construction and materials.

Engineers and contractors preparing construction plans or performing the construction are required to have, and to utilize those applicable standards and specifications at all times while work is being performed. Copies of the "Public Improvement Construction Standards" can be obtained at the Department of Public Works, Leawood City Hall.


Complete Right of Way-New Development Permit Application Form.

The permit fee is charged at 5% of the total construction cost, or bond amount for public improvement. These include:

  • Grading
  • Curbing
  • Paving
  • Storm Sewers
  • Street Light Installation in Public Right-of-Way for newly developed residential or commercial developments in the City.

The fee is collected and charged to the contractor at the time of the issuance of the permit for public improvements for developers' privately funded subdivisions.

The fee covers the cost for administration, plan review and construction observation services provided by the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.

It is the Developers' responsibility to insure that each contractor and/or utility company obtains a permit for each phase of construction within a subdivision and/or development.