"Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness." - Frank Gehry

Codes Administration - Remodeling Existing House


Are you painting, wallpapering, carpeting, tiling, installing cabinets or installing countertops? If you answered yes, then you do not need a building permit. However, if you are doing any of these items and additional work is also associated with this work, such as moving, adding or removing plumbing fixtures or electrical fixtures (such as outlets and lights), a building permit is required.

If you are finishing your basement, please see this document for additional information specific to basement finish projects.

A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or by by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:

  • A completed permit application.

  • Two sets of plans sealed and signed by an architect or engineer licensed in the State of Kansas. These plans do not need to be sealed if no structural work will be involved in the remodel.

  • Construction value of the proposed room addition work.

  • Contractors are required to be licensed with both the City of Leawood and Johnson County. Select this link for more information about Johnson County Contractor Licensing.



Permits expire after 180 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.

City of Leawood