2019 Pet License Renewal
Annual Pet License Renewal invoices are mailed the week between Christmas & New Year’s; and are due on/before February 28. Late penalty fees of $5.00 per pet, per month are assessed beginning March 1st. All applications and renewals without proper payment, a current rabies certificate, and spay-neuter documentation will be returned. Expiration dates for rabies are listed on each renewal invoice for your convenience. If you have additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Licensing Your Pet
Vaccinating and licensing your family pet is a beneficial means of protecting your animal against rabies and provides for an efficient method for the City to trace the animal’s ownership in the event it becomes lost. To do this, all dogs and cats must have a license within 30 days of being brought into the city or reaching the age of 6 months. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.
If your family has or wants more than two dogs and or two cats, you will need to obtain a Special Animal Permit Application from the City Clerk in addition to the animal license. An initial permit fee in the amount of $100.00 shall be paid by the owner, keeper or harborer of the animals identified in the permit. A permit renewal fee in the amount of $50.00 shall be paid (in addition to the license fee) each year thereafter.
All animals must be confined to the premises of the owner, except when taken off premises on a leash, or in a car, or other conveyance. Any animal(s) causing injury to persons or damage to property shall be presumed not under control of keeper/owner. Any animal picked up by Animal Control is subject to a leash law fine as well as a daily board charge. An animal picked up in Leawood must have current rabies vaccination and a city license before the animal can be released.
The following breeds are prohibited in the City of Leawood; Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, or any animal having the appearance or characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds known as Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier.
- It shall be the responsibility of the owner to renew animal license(s) prior to March 1, or late fees will be incurred ($5 per month per pet). Animal is defined as a cat or dog.
- Please print and return the completed Pet License Form. Applications MUST be submitted together with the following documentation:
- Copy of current rabies certificate (Veterinarian invoice or reminder letters are NOT acceptable)
- Copy of spay / neuter documentation (for pets not previously documented)
$5.00 spay / neuter
$25.00 non-spayed / neuter over 6 months of age
- Late Fees: ($5 per month per pet).
- Special Animal Permit Application – When applying for licenses of 3 or more dogs, or cats per household, please return the completed application WITH the $100.00 non-refundable fee plus all documentation listed above. Special Animal Permit renewal fee is $50.00.
- Payment MUST BE submitted with the following required documents to address below:
- City’s invoice copy
- Current copy of Rabies Certificate. (Veterinarian’s invoice, patient chart or history are NOT acceptable.)
- Spay/Neuter documentation, if not listed on rabies certificate copy.
Mail payment by check only, payable to CITY OF LEAWOOD. Do NOT mail cash. Over-the-phone credit card payments will NOT be accepted.
City of Leawood
Attention: Licensing Department
4800 Town Center Drive
Leawood, KS 66211
Phone: (913) 663-9123
- If you will be out of town during the renewal period, please contact Licensing department as soon as possible for early payment options. OR, mail in current rabies certificate with your name and address and payment to address above.
- If you no longer have the pet listed on the invoice, please return the invoice with the box checked: OR, email your name, address and name of pet (preferred method). License record will be deactivated.
- If you have a new or a different pet than what is invoiced, please submit a new application with copies of RABIES CERTIFICATE and spay/neuter documentation with appropriate payment amount.
- Animal License Renewal invoices are mailed by the end of December and are due on/before February 28 annually.
- $5.00 per animal spay / neuter.
- $25.00 per animal non-spay / neuter; over 6 months of age.
- Licenses are valid January 1 through December 31. Late penalty fees are assessed $5.00 per pet per month beginning March 1.
- The INITIAL Special Animal Permit non-refundable fee of $100.00 must be submitted with the completed application.
- Special Animal Permit RENEWAL letters are mailed by the City Clerk’s office and the fee of $50.00 is due on/before December 31st annually
- IMPORTANT: To obtain a city animal license, please submit the following documents with the completed copy of the application,
- A current copy of the CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION,
- Spay / neuter documentation (if not listed on rabies certificate)
- Appropriate fee, which includes late fee if postmarked after 2/28.
- Renewal Invoices must be returned with appropriate fees and copies of current RABIES CERTIFICATE, if copy on file has expired.
PLEASE NOTE: Veterinarian’s invoice, patient chart or history documentation are NOT acceptable.