Right of Way Construction Permits

The City of Leawood requires a permit for the construction of Public Infrastructure in New Subdivisions or Developments and/or for any work within existing public right-of-way.

(Chapter XIII, Article 3 of the Leawood Municipal Code)

This Ordinance applies to every utility company or contractor that has to work within the City right-of-way. Chapter XIII requires any and all service providers to register with the City before securing a permit. A Service Provider is defined in the Ordinance as:

  • Service Provider means any person owning, possessing or having an interest in facilities in the right-of-way that are used for the provisions of a service for or without a fee; provided, that this definition shall also include persons owning, possessing or having an interest in facilities in the right-of-way that are used by, may be used by or are intended for use by another person, in whole or in part, to provide a service for or without a fee, regardless of whether the actually facility owner provides any service as defined herein.

Any existing service provider, or new service providers wishing to work within the right of way must first register with the City if not already done. A Service Provider Registration Form is required.

Anyone wanting to work within the R/W must first obtain a copy of Chapter XIII, Article 3 of the Leawood Municipal Code “USE AND EXCAVATION OF THE PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY”. This can be viewed from the above link. In addition to having a copy of the Ordinance one must also obtain an Occupation License with the City prior obtaining a permit. Complete the appropriate Right of Way-Application Form.

The City has two (2) different types of permits

A plan or layout is required with the application. The permittee may be asked to provide a 2 year Performance and Maintenance Bond in the amount of $5,000.00 for each permit or provide an annual bond of $50,000.00.

The permit fee is determined by the current year “FEE SCHEDULE” adopted by the City. Fees for open cuts in the pavement are determined by the cost per square yard for the streets, overlays, and seal-coats multiplied by a depreciation rate multiplied by the area of influence. (See Appendix of the “Fee Schedule” for details).

Permits and fees for NEW driveways and sidewalks under NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION maybe covered in the Building Permit issued by the Community Development.

All curb work requires a separate Right-of-Way Miscellaneous permit.

For questions regarding right-of-way permits, contact (913) 663-9130.

Permit Application Checklist

  • Separate permits are required for the construction of:
  • Driveway Repair and approach installation
  • Sidewalk Construction
  • Storm Sewers
  • Street Construction and Repair
  • Street Lights
  • Irrigation Systems
  • Street Tree Planting

Contractors performing the work are to provide the following*:

  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Occupation License with the City
  • Permit Fee


New Development and Subdivision Permits

The intent of the Public Works Improvement Construction Standards adopted by the City is to ensure the standardization and integrity for all Public Works improvement projects, including design, construction and materials. Engineers and contractors preparing construction plans or performing the construction are required to have, and to utilize those applicable standards and specifications at all times while work is being performed. Copies of the “Public Improvement Construction Standards” can be obtained at the Department of Public Works, Leawood City Hall.

Complete Right of Way – New Development Permit Application. The permit fee is charged at 5% of the total construction cost, or bond amount for public improvement. These include:

  • Grading
  • Curbing
  • Paving
  • Storm Sewers
  • Street Light Installation in Public Right-of-Way for newly developed residential or commercial developments in the City.

The fee is collected and charged to the contractor at the time of the issuance of the permit for public improvements for developers’ privately funded subdivisions.

The fee covers the cost for administration, plan review and construction observation services provided by the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.

The contractor or permittee will also provide a 2 year Performance and Maintenance Bond in the amount of the cost of the public improvement.

It is the Developers’ responsibility to insure that each contractor and/or utility company obtains a permit for each phase of construction within a subdivision and/or development.

Public Works
Leawood City Hall
2nd Floor – West
4800 Town Center Drive
Leawood, KS 66211
913-339-6700 x130

2021 Fee Schedule
Business/Occupational License