Screened-In Porch Permits
Changing an existing open patio or deck into a screened-in porch or deck requires a building permit.
A permit application may be obtained in person from the Codes Administration Division at City Hall or by using this permit application. The form must be filled out completely and returned with the following required information:
- A completed permit application.
- Two sets of plans sealed and signed by an architect or engineer licensed in the State of Kansas.
- Two original, legal plot plans, signed and sealed by a civil engineer or land surveyor registered in the State of Kansas. The plot plan must include property address, legal description, property dimensions, and easements. Corner lots will be subject to indicating building lines for setback requirements. If your lot is large enough to clearly indicate that there is at least fifty feet from the proposed addition to the rear property line and at least thirty feet from adjacent side properties, the plot plan is not required to be sealed.
- Construction value of the proposed screened-in porch work.
- Contractors, generals and subs, are required to be licensed with both the City of Leawood and Johnson County. Select this link for more information about Johnson County Contractor Licensing.
- Properties north of I-435 are subject to approval from Johnson County Wastewater. Please contact Johnson County Wastewater at (913) 715-8500.
Permits expire after 180 days from the date of issuance. Additional time may be granted if substantial completion can be verified prior to the expiration of the permit.