"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

News Item

 

Dedication of Lee Farmhouse Road Historic District - Sep. 13

Expires [Sunday, September 13, 2015]

CONTACT: April Bishop
Cultural Arts Coordinator
(913) 663-9157

EVENT: Dedication of Lee Farmhouse Road
Historic District

DATE: Sunday, September 13, 2015

TIME: 5:00 – 7:00 pm

LOCATION: 96th & Lee Boulevard
Leawood, KS 66206

ENTRY FEE: N/A


Leawood Historic Commission to Dedicate Historic District

The Leawood Historic Commission is proud to dedicate the third historic district in north Leawood. On July 20th, Leawood Mayor Peggy J. Dunn, proclaimed the Lee Farmhouse Road as a Leawood Historic District in the Leawood Register of Historic Places. The district includes 33 single family homes on west 96th Street bound by State Line road on the east to Lee Boulevard on the west.

Members of the Leawood Historic Commission and the residents of 96th Street, led by Steven Johnston, prepared the application for the designation.

Between 1916 and 1937, the new Historic District was part of the Lee’s farmstead. The residence at 2320 W. 96th Street was the home of Oscar Lee and his family with barns, silos and other farm buildings located near the home. Farmstead usage included the current location of Leawood’s original Fire Station, City Hall and Police Department at 9615 Lee Boulevard.

The district is a small part of the original land purchased by Oscar G. Lee in 1916. Over time Lee acquired parcels, eventually owning 1,019 acres west of State Line Road to Belinder Road between 79th Street on the north to 103rd Street on the south. Lee built a road through the middle of his farm running north-south which he named Lee Boulevard and opened it to public use.

In 1937 Kroh Brothers Realty Company purchased much of Oscar Lee’s property platting the first Leawood suburban neighborhoods near 83rd and Lee Boulevard. The development of Leawood was named for Lee with a change in spelling to “Lea” to infer a meadow.

This new historic district includes one home built in 1888; the Lee home built in 1920; 28 homes built from 1945-1965; and three non-contributing homes built 1980-2011. Each home on 96th Street was unique following the styles of the period, the Ranch and the Neo-eclectic. The Lee home and the 1888 home have undergone major renovations, thus the original historic fabric of the homes is hidden beneath new construction. The street was developed with the Leawood “country lane” ambiance with no sidewalks.

The designation as a “historic district or structure” does not carry any legal obligations by the property owner or the City of Leawood but is an honorary designation that recognizes the development of Leawood as a City, as well as the pioneering Kroh Brothers Development Company that established the curvilinear country-lane layout of the first plat of Leawood.

Neighbors and those interested in suburban history are invited to the dedication and traditional neighborhood pot luck on September 13th at 5:00 pm at the home of Julia Fenner, 2036 W. 96th Street.

For more information please call (913) 663-9157.




View All News Items

City of Leawood